Leggings you can wear for work to working out and beyond.
It’s safe to say leggings are must-haves in your closet, but with so many styles to choose from (not to mention, a wide range of price points), it’s hard to know which ones are actually worth the splurge.
Tested leggings for things like durability, moisture management, comfort, and performance features, and our fashion editors weigh in with the most stylish leggings for everyday wear to find the best, longest-lasting, and most comfortable leggings out there. When you’re shopping for leggings, consider when you’ll be wearing them. Here’s what to keep in mind:
- Workout leggings: Synthetic performance fabrics (like polyester or nylon) are ideal for workout leggings because they are stretchy, durable, opaque, and often moisture-wicking to help manage sweat. Look for flat interior seams to prevent irritation and friction.
- Leggings to wear as pants: You can wear leggings as pants or even to work if they’re made of thicker fabric like ponte and faux leather. To make sure fabric isn’t see-through, try the leggings in natural daylight or under a bright light. Bend over in front of a mirror or check for show-through by deeply bending your knee.
- Loungewear leggings: Don’t need leggings to be fully opaque? Opt for a plant-based fiber like cotton, lyocell, or modal if you want a super-soft pair to wear 24/7 or to layer under longer tops or dresses.
What to look for in a pair of leggings
What you should look for in a pair of leggings depends on what exactly you’ll be doing in them. Theoretically, you can wear the same leggings for every activity, but you might not have the best experience. For example, wearing lounge leggings to an Orangetheory class could end in awkward sweat stains and stretched-out fabric.
Here are a few things to keep in mind while shopping for your next pair of leggings:
- Fit: Do you want them to be compressive or loose? Low-rise or high-rise? Do you want tummy control?
- Fabric: You’ll want to look for breathable fabric, moisture-wicking fabrics for any sweaty activities, but fabrics like cotton and wool are OK for lounging.
- Stretch: For high-intensity activities or activities that require full range of motion, definitely look for stretchy fabric.
- Temperature: Most leggings are OK year-round, but you might want to consider a special pair for cold winter weather.
Also See: Best Cotton Leggings for women
The leggings ahead are top-tested styles, staffer favorites, or popular picks with unique features. Here are the best leggings for women to buy in 2021:
1.Basic Solid Leggings
- Leggings can get expensive, but this pair is a total steal. It’s one of the most popular leggings on Amazon with over 19,000 reviews from users swear they’re incredibly comfortable and opaque.
- They’re not your best bet for exercise, but they’re ideal for everyday use or lounging at home.
- This style comes in tons of color options and is available in three size groupings, including plus sizes for up to 32W.
Related : Halloween Spider Web Leggings
2.High Waist Yoga Pants with Pockets
- Unlike our value pick above that’s an affordable everyday style from Amazon, these leggings are perfect for exercise because they’re made with performance fabric that’s stretchy, opaque, and comfortable to move around in.
- They’re also a fraction of the cost of other workout pants, yet verified reviewers swear they’re high quality. In fact, they have over 6,000 five-star reviews, and that number continues to grow.
Also See: 15 Best High Waist Leggings
3.HeatGear Armour Leggings
- Perfect for any exercise that involves lots of sweat and movement, these leggings are smooth and moisture wicking to help reduce friction.
- They’re also more compressive than other workout leggings, which can help with muscle fatigue from high-intensity exercise.
- We’re also big fans of the brand’s ColdGear leggings, which are fleece-lined for cooler weather, yet still breathable for running
4.Tall Band Foil Print Leggings
- If you prefer something more fun than basic black leggings, Terez has options in tons of prints for every style preference.
- Several even feature colorful metallic prints like this one. The smooth fabric proved to be durable in our tests and though it isn’t as high performance as other workout leggings, it’s certainly the trendiest pair you can bring to the gym.
5.Ultra Legging with Wide Waistband
- Cotton leggings are perfect for wearing under longer tops or As when you want them to be comfy but don’t need to worry about them being fully opaque.
- These leggings are a cotton blend and look more matte than shiny for everyday use.
- And unlike some other layering leggings, they have a wide waistband so you don’t have to worry about them rolling down.
Also See: 6 Different Types of Leggings for Women
6.Retro Gong Womens Faux Leather Legging
- Not only are these leggings on trend with their shiny, leather look, they’re also super comfortable and incredibly flattering thanks to their stretchy and smoothing waistband.
- And unlike true leather leggings, they’re machine washable for easy care. Not surprisingly, they’re also one of the most popular leggings on the market, and they’re available in plus and petite sizes.
7.commando Women’s Perfect Control Leggings
- With a built-in control top (like what you’d find in a pair of tights), these leggings have a smoothing and slimming effect.
- Most users agree that while they offer a tight fit, they aren’t restricting or uncomfortable at all
- . You’re better off wearing these for everyday use as opposed to workouts, but note that some users say they’re not as opaque as other leggings.
8.Hunnifit Premium Printed Workout Leggings for Women
- These leggings are versatile enough to wear from working out to hanging out.
- They’re incredibly comfortable thanks to the soft and smooth fabric, yet they stay in place, wick sweat, and have minimal seams for good performance during exercise.
- They have thousands of five-star reviews on the Athlete website and come in lots of variations, including more fashion-forward prints.
Also see: What Should I Wear? Leggings or Jeans?
- This pair is certified organic, meaning the entire manufacturing process (not just the growing of the cotton) follows strict environmental standards.
- The brand is well-known for its sustainable fashion practices and these leggings in particular are best sellers, yet not too pricey.
- Just note that cotton leggings aren’t as moisture-wicking, durable, or opaque as synthetic performance fabrics, but they feel super soft.
10.Orion Legging II
- These leggings are unique because the fabric feels like a pair of smooth running tights, but they’re more polished with design features like flattering seams down the front of the leg and flared openings around the ankles.
- And if the legs are too long for you, you can use a scissor to trim the unhemmed fabric – no tailoring required (just make sure you cut in a straight line!).
- On top of that, the fabric is made using regenerated nylon from old fishing nets and carpets.
How we chose these leggings
- We (Mercey and Amanda) have been trying out leggings for various activities for years.
- We’ve both been avid exercisers for a while now, and between the two of us, we’ve tried just about every type of mainstream exercise there is: , long-distance , dance cardio workouts, , , , hiking — you name it, we’ve probably done it (and probably while wearing leggings).
- We used our personal experience with various activewear brands to bring you the best of the best.
- Our hope is that we can point you in the right direction for your favorite activity and save you some dressing-room distress. So with that in mind, here are our picks for the best leggings for 2021.
Many of us have been wearing leggings as a daily staple during theand, by this point, you probably have a love-hate relationship with them. It can be so difficult to find the perfect pair, but when you do discover great leggings, it’s like you’ve won the lottery.
On the flip side, when you try on pair after pair to no avail, it can feel like you’re an oddly shaped piece of Play-Doh and you’ll never find the perfect fit. But as hard as it is to believe, that’s simply not the case — there’s a pair out there that will work for your body and fitness (or lounging) needs. To that end, we’ve rounded up the best leggings available today.
From to yoga leggings to stylish leggings to everyday leggings, you’re sure to find a that’s just perfect for your needs.
Check Out: ysleggings.com